• 2005 - Juris Doctorate - Tulane School of Law
• 2002 - Bachelor of Arts, Communications and Marketing - Loyola University, New Orleans
Practice AreasBusiness Litigation Governmental Representation Personal Injury Successions
Ellen Pivach Dunbar
Ellen Pivach Dunbar is a partner with the firm, devoting much of her practice to business litigation and governmental representation. She has both trial and motion experience in Louisiana district courts, and has successfully argued before the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal. Ellen also has experience handling substantive motions in the federal district courts of Louisiana, appellate briefs to the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal, and has appeared before the Louisiana Tax Commission on various property appeals.
• Summary judgment in favor of parish assessor and sheriff affirming the assessor’s valuation of millions of dollars in property omitted by taxpayers on their required forms.
• Summary judgment securing uninsured motorist insurance coverage of over $1 million in wrongful death action.
• Successfully resolved numerous oil and gas property tax appeals, resulting in millions of dollars in additional taxes for a local parish
• Injunction in favor of parish assessor to prevent an unlawful administrative hearing on property assessment appeals.
• Represented local businesses and individuals in property insurance disputes following Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Gustav.
• Injunction in favor of national real estate development company against property insurer to prevent increase of premium and change in policy terms.
Professional and Civic Involvement
Ellen is a member of the American Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, and the Plaquemines Parish Bar Association. Ellen also served as a Director of the Young Lawyers Division of the Federal Bar Association from 2008-2014.
Bars and Courts
• All Louisiana State Courts, 2005
• United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
• United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
• United States District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
• United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana